Thursday, August 14, 2008

More than co-workers

This week I have been coping with the sadness and shock of my grandmother suddenly passing away last Thursday. Of course, the death of a loved one never comes at a good time, but in this case, I truly felt that this could not have come at a worse time for me.

The gatherings and ceremonies designed to help my family say goodbye to Grandma coincided with InterVarsity New England’s Regional Staff Conference, normally a highlight of each year. This meant lots of shuffling back and forth between Springfield, MA, and Rindge, NH. I feared that being torn between the two worlds would ruin both of them—that my grief over my grandmother would make staff conference miserable and that the bustle of trying to participate in the conference would short-circuit my grieving process.

As it turns out, though death never comes at a good time, in this case it came at the best time possible for me. Being with my staff colleagues proved immensely helpful during this week. They’re all well-versed in helping people “process” hard things and were full of hugs, listening ears, and encouraging words. And in how many other workplaces would people pray for me and my family in the middle of a meeting?

And while Grandma’s funeral caused me to miss some of the content of the conference, it vividly impressed upon me the truth of the good news we proclaim: that Jesus conquered the grave, and death has no hold on those who (like Grandma) put their faith in him.

I thank God for taking what initially looked like a lose-lose situation and making it a win-win. In the end He provided abundantly for me in a tough time by surrounding me with my fellow staff. And He infused me with a deepened appreciation for this wonderful community of friends and for the message that we lay our lives down to proclaim.

-Paul

No comments: